Saturday, February 14, 2015

Celebrating Achievement - Chris B

It's 2015 and it's been a long time between blogs.

What a massive year 2014 was.  So much progress made in and out of the gym for my Free To Be You PT clients and yours truly.

I've had the privilege and pleasure of working with some very hard-working, enthusiastic clients with big personal goals.  Whilst I've had to cut back on PT due to the ever growing pressures and demands of running my supplement company Nutrients Direct, I am always inspired and lifted by the effort and progress I get to observe and be a part of.

Life throws so many things at us that it can be overwhelming at times.  I've coached clients through the loss of loved ones, illness, injury, home and job changes.  For some of us, these  things can derail us from being our best selves.  At this point we can either shrug and say "Oh well." I guess that's all out of my control and I suppose my best days are behind me.  OR!  we can get pissed off, and refuse to accept that we are like leaves in the wind and our futures are in the hands of unseen forces.

I'm going to say this here and now.  Your best years can still be ahead of you IF you decide that that is how you want your story to play out.  I understand that there are kids, bills, people dependant on us, old injuries, financial pressures, roller coaster relationships, tyrant bosses, economic downturns etc., etc.  Yes.  That stuff is real, but hear me when I say this;  IF YOUR EXCUSES WIN............YOU LOSE.  I've seen too many people turn their lives around and get in the best shape of their lives at all ages.  Sure I had something to do with a few of them, but I am convinced beyond any doubt that the decline normally associated with aging, isn't actually due to aging at all - it's neglect.  Stop moving and your body will get weaker and weaker until you're afraid to walk without looking at the ground to avoid tripping or you  can't even wipe your own butt.  Move often, move functionally, practice flexibility, balance and perhaps most importantly work on strength and you will be shocked at how amazing you can feel.  Pain-free. Unstoppable. Strong.  A role model. Proud. Sure, it doesn't come easy and you have to get uncomfortable often for short periods of time, but man oh man are the rewards more than worth it. 

In June of 2013, a woman in her mid-50s came to me looking for help.  She'd had a terrible run as far as health is concerned, and basic movements that most of us take for granted were extremely difficult or impossible for her.  We knew she had had a full knee replacement on both legs and had lost strength, mobility and had gained lots of weight.  Like I tell all my new clients who are contemplating putting their trust in me and making a huge personal, emotional, time, effort and financial investment for a better life, "If you have a goal.  If you are willing to trust me.  If you are willing to work harder than you've ever worked, do things that are uncomfortable and at times a bit scary, then know that I will be just as, if not more committed to that outcome than you.  A brave woman named Chris accepted that challenge and in doing so, in the last year and a half has completely turned her life around.  She has transformed her body, her mind, her life and has just done something she always dreamed of doing but once thought was impossible.   She climbed the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu then kayaked around Antarctica and is frolicking around in USA somewhere as I write this.  Please enjoy this video I made to celebrate her amazing achievements.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further post thank you once again. Nice article and pleasant arguments commented here, I am genuinely enjoying by these. If you have time you can check Fotnight Gift Card Code

    ReplyDelete